- Date:29 December 2012
- Where:Lecht 2090
Winter 2013 will see ski mountaineering (Skimo) racing being introduced to Scotland for the first time. Ski mountaineering racing is already a well established sport in the Alps and North America but as yet has not spread to the United Kingdom - until now.
Skimo Scotland plan to hold 4 individual races during the coming season:
- Saturday 29th December 2012 - Lecht 2090
- Saturday 19th January 2013 - Glenshee Ski Centre
- Saturday 23rd February 2013 - Glencoe Mountain
- Saturday 23rd March 2013 - Nevis Range
Ski mountaineering racing combines athletic skiing with mountaineering skills incorporating technical ascents and descents. There are different types of courses ranging from vertical sprints where racers skin uphill over a set distance to courses that have short steep sections which require the racers to put their ski's on their backpacks; all combined with technical downhill sections
- Who for:
Skimo racing is suitable for serious and non serious ski mountaineering enthusiasts.
The races are open to ski mountaineers, ski tourers, split boarders, boarders and telemark skiers - lyrca is not a prerequisite to enter, just enthusiasm for the sport.
- How much:
£30 - £35: register online here
- Want to know more:- website: skimoscotland.co.uk- facebook: facebook.com/Skimoscotland
related ski news
- Summer in Les 2 Alpes
- Glacier skiing, mountain biking, walking, swimming, rock climbing, golf, tennis... The list of what's possible in Les 2 Alpes over the summer is a long one, as the Ski Club's Content Editor Chris...
- Summer in the Norwegian Fjords
- With new flights, summer skiing and some of the world's most spectacular scenery, a summer holiday to the Hardangerfjord region of Norway promises an easily-accessible outdoor adventure, as the Ski...
- It's been a very busy summer!
- Although the school summer holidays are in full swing, our attention here at the Ski Club is still firmly fixed on all things snowy.