- Date:19 January 2013
- Where:Glenshee Ski Centre
Winter 2013 will see ski mountaineering (Skimo) racing being introduced to Scotland for the first time. Ski mountaineering racing is already a well established sport in the Alps and North America but as yet has not spread to the United Kingdom - until now.
Skimo Scotland plan to hold 4 individual races during the coming season:
- Saturday 29th December 2012 - Lecht 2090
- Saturday 19th January 2013 - Glenshee Ski Centre
- Saturday 23rd February 2013 - Glencoe Mountain
- Saturday 23rd March 2013 - Nevis Range
Ski mountaineering racing combines athletic skiing with mountaineering skills incorporating technical ascents and descents. There are different types of courses ranging from vertical sprints where racers skin uphill over a set distance to courses that have short steep sections which require the racers to put their ski's on their backpacks; all combined with technical downhill sections
- Who for:
Skimo racing is suitable for serious and non serious ski mountaineering enthusiasts.
The races are open to ski mountaineers, ski tourers, split boarders, boarders and telemark skiers - lyrca is not a prerequisite to enter, just enthusiasm for the sport.
- How much:
£30 - £35: register online here
- Want to know more:- website: skimoscotland.co.uk- facebook: facebook.com/Skimoscotland
related ski news
- Ten reasons to go skiing this December
- If you're anything like us here at the Ski Club, you'll be itching to get your skis back on as soon as possible. So why not look at booking that early-season ski holiday this winter? Here are 10 very...
- The GBX pathway goes from strength to strength
- Snowboard and ski cross has come a huge distance in the past two years and is in a better place than ever before - here is how:
- Top 5 Resorts for Early Season Snow
- There's nothing better than getting in your first day on skis - so why not get out as soon as possible? And here are our top recommendations for that snowsure, high altitude resort that is bound to...