- Date:19 January 2013
- Where:Glenshee Ski Centre
Winter 2013 will see ski mountaineering (Skimo) racing being introduced to Scotland for the first time. Ski mountaineering racing is already a well established sport in the Alps and North America but as yet has not spread to the United Kingdom - until now.
Skimo Scotland plan to hold 4 individual races during the coming season:
- Saturday 29th December 2012 - Lecht 2090
- Saturday 19th January 2013 - Glenshee Ski Centre
- Saturday 23rd February 2013 - Glencoe Mountain
- Saturday 23rd March 2013 - Nevis Range
Ski mountaineering racing combines athletic skiing with mountaineering skills incorporating technical ascents and descents. There are different types of courses ranging from vertical sprints where racers skin uphill over a set distance to courses that have short steep sections which require the racers to put their ski's on their backpacks; all combined with technical downhill sections
- Who for:
Skimo racing is suitable for serious and non serious ski mountaineering enthusiasts.
The races are open to ski mountaineers, ski tourers, split boarders, boarders and telemark skiers - lyrca is not a prerequisite to enter, just enthusiasm for the sport.
- How much:
£30 - £35: register online here
- Want to know more:- website: skimoscotland.co.uk- facebook: facebook.com/Skimoscotland
related ski news
- NZ Summer Series Part 4: North Island Ski Itinerary
- Our final itinerary takes in three very different ski areas on the iconic Mt Ruapehu - and as Ocean Belcher down in NZ tells us, skiing on a volcano makes for a very special trip!
- NZ Summer Series Part 5: Club Fields
- As our Kiwi expert Ocean Belcher explains, these smaller club fields embrace what skiing used to be like - before hectic lifestyles and commercial interests took over!
- How has the Southern Hemisphere ski season started?
- With skiing underway across most summer ski destinations, it is time for our snow expert Fraser Willcox to take a look at what the start of the season has been like in the Southern Hemisphere.