- Date:19 January 2013
- Where:Glenshee Ski Centre
Winter 2013 will see ski mountaineering (Skimo) racing being introduced to Scotland for the first time. Ski mountaineering racing is already a well established sport in the Alps and North America but as yet has not spread to the United Kingdom - until now.
Skimo Scotland plan to hold 4 individual races during the coming season:
- Saturday 29th December 2012 - Lecht 2090
- Saturday 19th January 2013 - Glenshee Ski Centre
- Saturday 23rd February 2013 - Glencoe Mountain
- Saturday 23rd March 2013 - Nevis Range
Ski mountaineering racing combines athletic skiing with mountaineering skills incorporating technical ascents and descents. There are different types of courses ranging from vertical sprints where racers skin uphill over a set distance to courses that have short steep sections which require the racers to put their ski's on their backpacks; all combined with technical downhill sections
- Who for:
Skimo racing is suitable for serious and non serious ski mountaineering enthusiasts.
The races are open to ski mountaineers, ski tourers, split boarders, boarders and telemark skiers - lyrca is not a prerequisite to enter, just enthusiasm for the sport.
- How much:
£30 - £35: register online here
- Want to know more:- website: skimoscotland.co.uk- facebook: facebook.com/Skimoscotland
related ski news
- Off-piste training - it's all about having even more fun!
- Perhaps you like the idea but lack the courage to ski away from the piste? Or maybe you do ski off-piste but suspect you could be safer? Or you know the essentials but are ready to take it to the next...
- Kicking off the season with 30 days of snowsport
- The Sochi Olympics got everyone excited about winter sports last season, and now Snowsport England have got some big plans afoot to rekindle the enthusiasm for this season.
- Ski hosting and instructing in France: what's happening?
- It's been a difficult few years for British ski hosts and instructors in France. The situation is complicated, far from settled, and it affects the Ski Club too. Here's your comprehensive briefing on...
- Introduction to Freestyle Skiing
- Freestyle is a fast growing discipline in skiing. Here are a few technique tips to get you started in the world of jumps and grabs. From the Go Ski DVD.
- How to...ride a rail
- Pat Sharples from the Fat Academy explains how to perform a railslide on skis.
- Snowcast Extra: Working a winter season
- Thinking of working a winter season? The experts from the Natives.co.uk winter workshop give budding seasonnaires their top tips on preparing for a season in the mountains.