- Date:23 February 2013
- Where:Glencoe Mountain
Winter 2013 will see ski mountaineering (Skimo) racing being introduced to Scotland for the first time. Ski mountaineering racing is already a well established sport in the Alps and North America but as yet has not spread to the United Kingdom - until now.
Skimo Scotland plan to hold 4 individual races during the coming season:
- Saturday 29th December 2012 - Lecht 2090
- Saturday 19th January 2013 - Glenshee Ski Centre
- Saturday 23rd February 2013 - Glencoe Mountain
- Saturday 23rd March 2013 - Nevis Range
Ski mountaineering racing combines athletic skiing with mountaineering skills incorporating technical ascents and descents. There are different types of courses ranging from vertical sprints where racers skin uphill over a set distance to courses that have short steep sections which require the racers to put their ski's on their backpacks; all combined with technical downhill sections
- Who for:
Skimo racing is suitable for serious and non serious ski mountaineering enthusiasts.
The races are open to ski mountaineers, ski tourers, split boarders, boarders and telemark skiers - lyrca is not a prerequisite to enter, just enthusiasm for the sport.
- How much:
£30 - £35: register online here
- Want to know more:- website: skimoscotland.co.uk- facebook: facebook.com/Skimoscotland
related ski news
- Great snow expected for half-term but stay safe off-piste
- It has barely stopped snowing in parts of the northern and western Alps since the start of 2016 and upper snow depths have hit 300cm in places. But numerous avalanches have been reported, including...
- ParaSnowBall 2016
- After an incredible first event last year the ParaSnowBall is back better than ever.
- Snowsports Scotland's 1st FIS race in Austria proves a huge hit
- Snowsport Scotland's decision to host its first FIS race in Reiteralm, Austria has been declared a huge success by racers and trainers alike.