- Date:23 February 2013
- Where:Glencoe Mountain
Winter 2013 will see ski mountaineering (Skimo) racing being introduced to Scotland for the first time. Ski mountaineering racing is already a well established sport in the Alps and North America but as yet has not spread to the United Kingdom - until now.
Skimo Scotland plan to hold 4 individual races during the coming season:
- Saturday 29th December 2012 - Lecht 2090
- Saturday 19th January 2013 - Glenshee Ski Centre
- Saturday 23rd February 2013 - Glencoe Mountain
- Saturday 23rd March 2013 - Nevis Range
Ski mountaineering racing combines athletic skiing with mountaineering skills incorporating technical ascents and descents. There are different types of courses ranging from vertical sprints where racers skin uphill over a set distance to courses that have short steep sections which require the racers to put their ski's on their backpacks; all combined with technical downhill sections
- Who for:
Skimo racing is suitable for serious and non serious ski mountaineering enthusiasts.
The races are open to ski mountaineers, ski tourers, split boarders, boarders and telemark skiers - lyrca is not a prerequisite to enter, just enthusiasm for the sport.
- How much:
£30 - £35: register online here
- Want to know more:- website: skimoscotland.co.uk- facebook: facebook.com/Skimoscotland
related ski news
- Snowsports stars turn out as Snow-camp launches national campaign
- Snow-camp launched its 5NOW campaign to raise funds to expand Snow-Camp's accredited journey of programmes across 5 UK cities
- Two feet up, two wheels down
- On a recent trip to the Val Gardena, Italy, Rob Crabtree discovers what the South Tyrol can offer those looking for a bit of relaxation with lashings of downhill adrenaline.
- Whistler Blackcomb moves to combat climate change
- In recent years several resorts have already implemented creative solutions to ward off the advance of climate change.