- Date:23 February 2013
- Where:Glencoe Mountain
Winter 2013 will see ski mountaineering (Skimo) racing being introduced to Scotland for the first time. Ski mountaineering racing is already a well established sport in the Alps and North America but as yet has not spread to the United Kingdom - until now.
Skimo Scotland plan to hold 4 individual races during the coming season:
- Saturday 29th December 2012 - Lecht 2090
- Saturday 19th January 2013 - Glenshee Ski Centre
- Saturday 23rd February 2013 - Glencoe Mountain
- Saturday 23rd March 2013 - Nevis Range
Ski mountaineering racing combines athletic skiing with mountaineering skills incorporating technical ascents and descents. There are different types of courses ranging from vertical sprints where racers skin uphill over a set distance to courses that have short steep sections which require the racers to put their ski's on their backpacks; all combined with technical downhill sections
- Who for:
Skimo racing is suitable for serious and non serious ski mountaineering enthusiasts.
The races are open to ski mountaineers, ski tourers, split boarders, boarders and telemark skiers - lyrca is not a prerequisite to enter, just enthusiasm for the sport.
- How much:
£30 - £35: register online here
- Want to know more:- website: skimoscotland.co.uk- facebook: facebook.com/Skimoscotland
related ski news
- British Ski and Snowboard announce bold new Olympic ambition
- With less than one year until the next Olympic Winter Games in PyeongChang, British Ski and Snowboard has set their sights high heading towards the event and beyond.
- Ski Club partner with the Foreign Office on their #SkiSafe campaign
- Foreign Office partner with Ski Club of GB to urge winter sports enthusiasts to #SkiSafe this season
- Another Successful Year at The British Schoolgirls Races!
- Over 150 girls from 31 schools across the UK descended on Flaine, France earlier this week for the British Schoolgirls Races 2017.