- Date:23 March 2013
- Where:Nevis Range
Winter 2013 will see ski mountaineering (Skimo) racing being introduced to Scotland for the first time. Ski mountaineering racing is already a well established sport in the Alps and North America but as yet has not spread to the United Kingdom - until now.
Skimo Scotland plan to hold 4 individual races during the coming season:
- Saturday 29th December 2012 - Lecht 2090
- Saturday 19th January 2013 - Glenshee Ski Centre
- Saturday 23rd February 2013 - Glencoe Mountain
- Saturday 23rd March 2013 - Nevis Range
Ski mountaineering racing combines athletic skiing with mountaineering skills incorporating technical ascents and descents. There are different types of courses ranging from vertical sprints where racers skin uphill over a set distance to courses that have short steep sections which require the racers to put their ski's on their backpacks; all combined with technical downhill sections
- Who for:
Skimo racing is suitable for serious and non serious ski mountaineering enthusiasts.
The races are open to ski mountaineers, ski tourers, split boarders, boarders and telemark skiers - lyrca is not a prerequisite to enter, just enthusiasm for the sport.
- How much:
£30 - £35: register online here
- Want to know more:- website: skimoscotland.co.uk- facebook: facebook.com/Skimoscotland
related ski news
- World first in Manchester as the FIS European Indoor Moguls Championships comes to Chill Factore
- Chill Factore in Manchester is set to play host to a FIS (International Ski Federation) European Indoor Moguls Championships on 13 and 14 September 2014.
- Snowsport England launch new Alpine Athlete Bursary scheme
- Bursary scheme will support alpine athletes currently following the Snowsport England Athlete Pathway.
- Spotlight on: Grandvalira
- Extensive pistes, potential powder and all night parties in the Pyrenees... could Andorra be the perfect destination for you next winter adventure?
- Snowcast Extra: Working a winter season
- Thinking of working a winter season? The experts from the Natives.co.uk winter workshop give budding seasonnaires their top tips on preparing for a season in the mountains.
- Interview with Joe Simpson part 3
- Filmed at the Sheffield Adventure Film Festival, Gordon Stainforth interviews Joe Simpson mountaineer and subject of film "Touching the Void". In this third excerpt Joe talks about the thin line...
- Booking and Choosing a Resort
- Booking a holiday can feel daunting but looking through the resorts and choosing is all part of the fun. Here are some useful tips from the Skiing Skills experts.