- Date:23 March 2013
- Where:Nevis Range
Winter 2013 will see ski mountaineering (Skimo) racing being introduced to Scotland for the first time. Ski mountaineering racing is already a well established sport in the Alps and North America but as yet has not spread to the United Kingdom - until now.
Skimo Scotland plan to hold 4 individual races during the coming season:
- Saturday 29th December 2012 - Lecht 2090
- Saturday 19th January 2013 - Glenshee Ski Centre
- Saturday 23rd February 2013 - Glencoe Mountain
- Saturday 23rd March 2013 - Nevis Range
Ski mountaineering racing combines athletic skiing with mountaineering skills incorporating technical ascents and descents. There are different types of courses ranging from vertical sprints where racers skin uphill over a set distance to courses that have short steep sections which require the racers to put their ski's on their backpacks; all combined with technical downhill sections
- Who for:
Skimo racing is suitable for serious and non serious ski mountaineering enthusiasts.
The races are open to ski mountaineers, ski tourers, split boarders, boarders and telemark skiers - lyrca is not a prerequisite to enter, just enthusiasm for the sport.
- How much:
£30 - £35: register online here
- Want to know more:- website: skimoscotland.co.uk- facebook: facebook.com/Skimoscotland
related ski news
- 101 adventurous reasons why Ski Club Travel Insurance gives you more freedom
- This isn't just an over-enthusiastic claim - our new travel insurance covers you for a huge variety of sports and activities, including most things involving snow.
- All new for 2015 - The London ski show brings the Alps to Battersea Park
- This year the Telegraph Ski & Snowboard show will move to Battersea Park, complete with a new alpine ski village and buzzing apres scene.
- 'A' is for 'Apfelstrudel'... a culinary journey through the Kitzbüheler Alps
- From Apfelstrudel to Zirbenschnaps, the Kitzbüheler Alps is a destination for foodies as well as snowlovers