- Date:23 March 2013
- Where:Nevis Range
Winter 2013 will see ski mountaineering (Skimo) racing being introduced to Scotland for the first time. Ski mountaineering racing is already a well established sport in the Alps and North America but as yet has not spread to the United Kingdom - until now.
Skimo Scotland plan to hold 4 individual races during the coming season:
- Saturday 29th December 2012 - Lecht 2090
- Saturday 19th January 2013 - Glenshee Ski Centre
- Saturday 23rd February 2013 - Glencoe Mountain
- Saturday 23rd March 2013 - Nevis Range
Ski mountaineering racing combines athletic skiing with mountaineering skills incorporating technical ascents and descents. There are different types of courses ranging from vertical sprints where racers skin uphill over a set distance to courses that have short steep sections which require the racers to put their ski's on their backpacks; all combined with technical downhill sections
- Who for:
Skimo racing is suitable for serious and non serious ski mountaineering enthusiasts.
The races are open to ski mountaineers, ski tourers, split boarders, boarders and telemark skiers - lyrca is not a prerequisite to enter, just enthusiasm for the sport.
- How much:
£30 - £35: register online here
- Want to know more:- website: skimoscotland.co.uk- facebook: facebook.com/Skimoscotland
related ski news
- Ten reasons to go skiing this December
- If you're anything like us here at the Ski Club, you'll be itching to get your skis back on as soon as possible. So why not look at booking that early-season ski holiday this winter? Here are 10 very...
- 7 in 7 - Which resort should I go to?
- As the Ski Club TV Team found out back in March, the Austrian Tirol is home to some spectacularly good skiing and boarding - but which is best for what? Tom Ewbank, the video series producer give us...
- Top Lift Passes for 2016/17
- If you're heading to the mountains on multiple trips or for the whole season and want to visit different ski resorts, then look no further than these mega season passes for the 2016/17 season.