Blind daredevil Kevin Alderton, sponsored by the Ski Club of Great Britain, has set the first ever Blind Speed Ski World Record at the ‘Flying Kilometre’ in Les Arcs, France, with a remarkable speed of 100.94mph, in 2.21 seconds, over a distance of 1 kilometre!
Kevin said: “I feel absolutely amazing! It just goes to show that disability is no barrier to achievement, be it the ordinary or the extraordinary. The sky really is the limit.”
After serving 12 years in the British Army with the Honourable Artillery Company and Grenadier Guards, Kevin from Dartford, Kent, was injured in an a street attack and was subsequently registered blind in 1998. A keen skier for over 25 years, Kevin is currently undertaking World and European cup circuits and has also set his sights on the 2008 World Championships and the Paralympics in Vancouver, Canada in 2010.
To read up on the history of Kev’s campaign, check out Where’s Kev
To support the St Dunstan’s Blind Ambition Campaign please call 020 7616 7963 or donate online at www.st-dunstans.org.uk
- Ski Club Snowcast episode 176 - The Brits Special
- 26th March 2010 - Emma and Ed bring you a very special Snowcast direct from the BRITS in Laax, Switzerland. We meet Ski Club sponsored riders James and Rob Machon, find out what else Laax has to...
- Ski Club Summer Snowcast episode 181
- May 2010 - In the first Summer Snowcast it's time to party, as we look forward to the Ski Club's BIG summer party on 25 June and reveal how you could win tickets! There's also some of your season...
- Ski Club Summer Snowcast episode 182
- June 2010 - In the second of the monthy Summer Snowcasts we revisit Scotland for the Ski Club's annual Big Spring Clean, part of the Respect the Mountain initiative. There's also a look ahead to the...
- Ski Club Summer Snowcast episode 183
- July 2010 - Emma and Tom bring you the latest ski and snowboard news from around the world. This month: the Ski Club BIG Summer Party, Crystal report highlights challenging winter season, and the...