Man dies in Chamonix lift fall
Three men are in custody after one of their friends fell to his death from the Brevent to Planpraz bubble lift on Saturday.
(c/o Antoine Chandellier, Le Dauphine Libéré)
The cause of the fall is unclear but it is thought the men could have been drinking and were pushing each other around whilst in the lift.
The four men were childhood friends and had shared a meal before using the cable car on Saturday afternoon.
Police say the victim fell from a height of 25 metres (82ft) and died instantly. A French family came across the body whilst walking under the bubble lift.
The three men in the lift are being questioned but so far no charges have been laid, and their identities have not been revealed.
According to François Bidaut, the Director General of La Compagnie du Mont-Blanc, this is "an exceptional incident which has never occurred before" and the company has carried out safety checks on every single one of the bubbles.
The lift is now fully back in operation.
In a seperate incident in the same resort, a British snowboarder was killed on Sunday whilst descending the Vallée Blanche after he fell into a crevasse.
Go to pistehors.com for more info.
related ski news
- Off-piste training - stay safe in the mountains this winter
- Do you worry about the risks when going off-piste? Do you want to know how to find the best snow? Don't miss out on some pre-season training and make the most of your time in the mountains.
- Ski tech: the best new ski apps this season
- From off-piste fly-throughs to ski fitness programmes, and packing lists to snow forecasts, apps can make your ski trip more fun, more sociable, more safe, and give you lots to boast about. Here's our...
- What's all this DIN?
- What is a DIN setting? What does DIN stand for? Can I adjust it myself? Keeping your boots on your skis is a technical undertaking - read on to find out what's going on beneath your feet