Man dies in Chamonix lift fall
Three men are in custody after one of their friends fell to his death from the Brevent to Planpraz bubble lift on Saturday.
(c/o Antoine Chandellier, Le Dauphine Libéré)
The cause of the fall is unclear but it is thought the men could have been drinking and were pushing each other around whilst in the lift.
The four men were childhood friends and had shared a meal before using the cable car on Saturday afternoon.
Police say the victim fell from a height of 25 metres (82ft) and died instantly. A French family came across the body whilst walking under the bubble lift.
The three men in the lift are being questioned but so far no charges have been laid, and their identities have not been revealed.
According to François Bidaut, the Director General of La Compagnie du Mont-Blanc, this is "an exceptional incident which has never occurred before" and the company has carried out safety checks on every single one of the bubbles.
The lift is now fully back in operation.
In a seperate incident in the same resort, a British snowboarder was killed on Sunday whilst descending the Vallée Blanche after he fell into a crevasse.
Go to pistehors.com for more info.
- Falling safely
- A short clip from the In Deeper instructional movie explaining the safest way to fall when skiing.
- Freeskiing Awareness with Anders Norin
- Ex pro skier Anders Norin offers some important freeskiing advice, including how to escape slough.
- Mountain Awareness
- Avalanche awareness clip from Snow Films with a graphic account of being caught in an avalanche from Loris Falquet.
- Freeskiing Awareness - Jimmy Oden
- Mountain guide Jimmy Oden talks about awareness in the mountains and his book, Freeskiing: How to adapt to the mountain.
related ski news
- What does Mongolia have in common with Kitzbühel?
- Chris Taine tries to keep up with Austrian pro Stephan Skrobar for long enough to find out...
- Safety first
- Our top tips for staying safe on the slopes this winter
- Michael Schumacher critical but 'stable' condition following skiing accident
- The Formula 1 racing legend suffered a head injury while skiing in Meribel
- Ski Club+
- Ski Club membership with added peace of mind