Carrie's blog: Gearing up for another season
Carrie Hainge tries out next season's Salomon and Bonfire kit and reveals what's hot and worth talking about
Today I made my way up to The Snow Centre indoor slope at Hemel Hempstead with Ski Club PR Manager Vicky Norman for a morning trying out the latest ski and snowboard equipment and clothing from Salomon and Bonfire.
When it comes to Salomon hardware, there’s no ignoring the new BBR ski with its tip inspired by a surfboard, rocker shape for powder skiing and narrow base underfoot to allow for carving on piste. I tried out a pair and they didn't disappoint; they glided effortlessly on The Snow Centre slope and were easy to turn.
So what type of skier is the BBR aimed at? Well, with two models, the more flexible 7.9 and tougher 8.9, anyone from an intermediate to a powder hound will feel the benefit of the wide tip and narrow base. The BBR can be pre-ordered from Snow+Rock before its global release this September at £400 for the 7.9 and £500 for the 8.9 and will also be available soon at Ellis Brigham.
The Enduro range (which replaces the Tornado range) was something I sadly didn't get to try as the skis had been eagerly snapped up by other testers. Watch out for the Enduro this season though, it’s a key all-mountain ski that offers both good on-piste skiing and an easy ride through the powder.
I did get to try Salomon’s latest addition to the ski accessories market – goggles. The new line offers three key features – the XTEND frame concept (a larger lens with 20% more vision), a Thermo Control System (to stop fogging) and a custom frame. I could certainly see that little bit more and with fresh designs and a clean look, Salomon has entered a good offering into the goggles arena.
Clothing-wise, next season’s Salomon ski kit is bright and colourful whereas the Bonfire snowboarding range has gone for more earthy colours. Having said that, the Bonfire men's Sitka jacket is a bright two-tone jacket with large pockets at the front – channelling a bit of an 80s style!
Bonfire’s women’s 'Oh Yeah' snowboard, as tested by Vicky, has some strong graphics, reminiscent of the 3D look. “It offers really striking graphics and for entry level boarders is a great snowboard to progress easily with” said Vicky.
So some great kit from Salomon and Bonfire for next season; trying it all out at The Snow Centre has really made me look forward to the winter ahead. Don’t forget to use your Ellis Brigham 10% voucher and online discount if you’re a member to snap up some new kit for less and keep visiting our discounts section for other ways to save on Salomon and Bonfire kit.
- Proper kit
- Having the right skis off-piste will make more of a difference to your performance than anything else, as explained in this clip from the In Deep DVD.
- Tooling up
- Advice on some safety kit you'll need on the mountain from the In Deeper DVD. Includes a demonstration of how to use an avalanche transceiver.
- Snowboard equipment for beginners
- A guide to the equipment and clothing needed to go snowboarding for the first time.
- Setting Up Bindings
- Becci Malthouse and Peter Hart experiment with different snowboard binding set ups and what effect each of them has.
related ski news
- Ski tech: the best new ski apps this season
- From off-piste fly-throughs to ski fitness programmes, and packing lists to snow forecasts, apps can make your ski trip more fun, more sociable, more safe, and give you lots to boast about. Here's our...
- High fashion at high altitude - the top trends this winter
- We take a look around Snow+Rock's top-end offerings, from merino-linings to faux fur, and Swedish style to shimmering fabrics
- Fast-track ski or snowboard tuition with Ski B4Xmas
- Learn the basics at The Snow Centre before Christmas, and then take the new skills to Meribel in January - it's the perfect jump-start for the snowsports beginner in your life
- Christmas gifts to inspire adventures
- Make use of Ski Club membership for your Christmas shopping, encourage adventurous thoughts, and give everyone a warm feeling inside... and outside.