June Mountain to close indefinitely
California resort has announced that it will not operate for the upcoming season
Mammoth Mountain Ski Area announced on 21 June that is will not operate June Mountain over the summer months, or the 2012-13 winter season, and the longer-term future of the resort is uncertain.
Rusty Gregory, Chairman and CEO of Mammoth Mountain Ski Area, said in a press release “June (Mountain) has operated at an annual deficit each year since its purchase in 1986, it is time to invest some of this subsidy into the analysis and planning required to position the resort for a sustainable future, then secure the approvals and financing required to create it.”
Mammoth Mountain acquired June Mountain in 1986 with a view to building additional facilities and developing a connection between the two resorts, however these plans were never realised.
The announcement came abruptly, with June Mountain originally being scheduled to commence summer operations on Thursday 28 June.
While June Mountain may not have seen the visitor numbers needed to be financially profitable in recent years, its closure will no doubt be a disappointment, especially for those escaping the crowds at nearby Mammoth who enjoyed the vibe of the laid-back resort.
2011-12 was a challenging season for California ski areas, and Mammoth will now be trying to absorb full time staff from June Mountain while the future of the latter is still to be determined. Regardless, the closure will be a challenge for the small June Lake community.
- Best of Dynastar: USA trip part 1
- From Park City, Utah, the Dynastar Lange crew seek out urban rails and hit the pistes.
- Best of Dynastar: USA trip part 2
- The Dynastar Freeski team head to the snowpark before finding the perfect spot to build a back-country kicker
- Salomon Freeski TV S4 E19 The Man and the Mammoth
- A cave man finds skiing thanks to his new-found friend, a wooly mammoth.
- How to extend your season
- Graham Bell heads to Tignes to test out skiing on the glaciers and finds out what else there is to do in the mountains during the summer.
related ski news
- Best of Graubünden
- Packed with many of Switzerland's premier resorts, we've picked out the best spots in Graubünden... to suit all tastes
- Ski Club Leader service returns to Mayrhofen this season
- The popular Austrian destination will host a Ski Club Leader in resort this winter
- Where now for the Winter Olympics?
- Why have all but two of the potential candidates for the 2022 Winter Olympics pulled out? Is this the beginning of a new era in which the only countries willing to stage the games are autocratic...
- Austria's hidden gem: Kals-Matrei
- The resorts of Osttirol might not be the most well known in Austria, but they definitely shouldn't be overlooked