June Mountain to close indefinitely
California resort has announced that it will not operate for the upcoming season
Mammoth Mountain Ski Area announced on 21 June that is will not operate June Mountain over the summer months, or the 2012-13 winter season, and the longer-term future of the resort is uncertain.
Rusty Gregory, Chairman and CEO of Mammoth Mountain Ski Area, said in a press release “June (Mountain) has operated at an annual deficit each year since its purchase in 1986, it is time to invest some of this subsidy into the analysis and planning required to position the resort for a sustainable future, then secure the approvals and financing required to create it.”
Mammoth Mountain acquired June Mountain in 1986 with a view to building additional facilities and developing a connection between the two resorts, however these plans were never realised.
The announcement came abruptly, with June Mountain originally being scheduled to commence summer operations on Thursday 28 June.
While June Mountain may not have seen the visitor numbers needed to be financially profitable in recent years, its closure will no doubt be a disappointment, especially for those escaping the crowds at nearby Mammoth who enjoyed the vibe of the laid-back resort.
2011-12 was a challenging season for California ski areas, and Mammoth will now be trying to absorb full time staff from June Mountain while the future of the latter is still to be determined. Regardless, the closure will be a challenge for the small June Lake community.
related ski news
- First lift, last call: Ski Juwel Alpbachtal Wildschönau
- The Austrian Tirol at its most idyllic: Sunshine, snow, schnitzel and schnapps
- Cool town, winter in the city
- Innsbruck, the capital of the Austrian Tirol province, is dressed so fine and looking so pretty during the holiday season
- Bigger is Better - Major Resort Links
- When the Flexenbahn project to connect St Anton to Lech/Zurs opens in just over a month's time, it will be the fifth major ski resort link up in the past four seasons. But if you've missed any of...
- Our Top 5 Huge Ski Areas
- Clocking up the miles, skiing from valley to valley and exploring vast mountain playgrounds makes for a very special holiday. But which ski resorts are the best for this? Here are the Ski Club's Top...