Andy's Blog: Early season courses with Snoworks
The Ski Club's Andy Brown prepares to tackle more of the mountain
For ages now I’ve wanted to improve so I can ski parts of the mountain that a lot of my friends can, without getting embarrassed or not getting there at all! But my problem is that I certainly don’t want to get stuck in a ski school, and ski in a classic “snake” formation spending half the time standing around. Call me selfish, but there you go.
This weekend we’re heading out to Tignes so we can advise you on the best way to go about learning to ski new parts of the mountain. We want to explore a more personalised instructional experience which is less standardised and therefore more appropriate to your needs, while still paying normal ski school rates.
We’ll be spending a couple of days with Snoworks, who suggest their tuition is ‘more like having a personal trainer than being a member of a gym class’. It’s an interesting theory – one that is springing up in a number of resorts – and an attractive one for people like me who want to push the boundaries a little more by learning to ski new terrain.
Personalised instruction is something we know Ski Club Freshtracks holidays do brilliantly, given that over 85% of members rebook. But we’d love to experience how other ski schools are running their courses and offering more than standard ski school lessons.
Stay tuned for our blogs on this experience, and so we can tell you how the snow’s looking as we approach what so far looks to be an excellent season for skiing! Finally I may be able to ski off piste under a chair lift without worrying about losing face, and losing my skis for that matter.
Read Andy's next blog to find out how he did tackling the deep snow in Tignes...
From tree hugger to tree dodger this weekend eh mate?! Thinking of you in Whistler makes me smile.... great fun!
Super jealous of your trip....
Have you seen the video that Snoworks Phil Smith put up yesterday? Looks like it has finally started to dump in Tignes.... green last week, white and lovely this week!
Have a great time, look forward to hearing how it goes!
- Discover Ski Club Freshtracks
- An in-depth look at why Ski Club Freshtracks holidays enjoy an 85% rebook rate. There’s insight from our instructors and lots of comments from our customers. Enjoy!
- Freeride - Lateral Stability
- When freeriding it is essential to have lateral control to keep your skiing consistent when the surface is inconsistent. Technique tip courtesy of the Warren Smith Ski Academy.
- Into the crud
- Technique advice for skiing through snow that has been baked by the sun and become cruddy and porridge-like.
- After the snowfall
- BASI expert Mark Jones helps presenter Peter Hart maintain his speed and stay afloat in the powder.
related ski news
- Champagny-en-Vanoise: Chocolate box Paradiski
- The French Alps are quite literally littered with ski resorts; from the mega ski areas of Les 3 Vallées to the more quintessential Savoie villages like St Gervais. But what if you're looking...
- Spotlight on: Engelberg
- Switzerland's 'Angel Mountain' is one of our most popular Freshtracks destinations for a reason... find out why
- Ski tech: the best new ski apps this season
- From off-piste fly-throughs to ski fitness programmes, and packing lists to snow forecasts, apps can make your ski trip more fun, more sociable, more safe, and give you lots to boast about. Here's our...
- Ski Club Leader service returns to Mayrhofen this season
- The popular Austrian destination will host a Ski Club Leader in resort this winter