Andy's Blog: Early season courses with Snoworks
The Ski Club's Andy Brown prepares to tackle more of the mountain
For ages now I’ve wanted to improve so I can ski parts of the mountain that a lot of my friends can, without getting embarrassed or not getting there at all! But my problem is that I certainly don’t want to get stuck in a ski school, and ski in a classic “snake” formation spending half the time standing around. Call me selfish, but there you go.
This weekend we’re heading out to Tignes so we can advise you on the best way to go about learning to ski new parts of the mountain. We want to explore a more personalised instructional experience which is less standardised and therefore more appropriate to your needs, while still paying normal ski school rates.
We’ll be spending a couple of days with Snoworks, who suggest their tuition is ‘more like having a personal trainer than being a member of a gym class’. It’s an interesting theory – one that is springing up in a number of resorts – and an attractive one for people like me who want to push the boundaries a little more by learning to ski new terrain.
Personalised instruction is something we know Ski Club Freshtracks holidays do brilliantly, given that over 85% of members rebook. But we’d love to experience how other ski schools are running their courses and offering more than standard ski school lessons.
Stay tuned for our blogs on this experience, and so we can tell you how the snow’s looking as we approach what so far looks to be an excellent season for skiing! Finally I may be able to ski off piste under a chair lift without worrying about losing face, and losing my skis for that matter.
Read Andy's next blog to find out how he did tackling the deep snow in Tignes...
From tree hugger to tree dodger this weekend eh mate?! Thinking of you in Whistler makes me smile.... great fun!
Super jealous of your trip....
Have you seen the video that Snoworks Phil Smith put up yesterday? Looks like it has finally started to dump in Tignes.... green last week, white and lovely this week!
Have a great time, look forward to hearing how it goes!
related ski news
- Improve your skills this summer with Ski Club Freshtracks!
- Ski Club Freshtracks are returning to Les Deux Alpes this summer for a week of instruction on one of the Alps' best glaciers. Six mornings of on-snow instruction followed by afternoons packed with...
- Where the road ends... Kaunertal is just getting started
- Kaunertal glacier lies deep in the heart of the Eastern Alps, straddling the border between Austria and Italy, and far from the maddening crowds
- Two exciting announcements for UK snowsports
- Although the 2015/2016 season may be coming to an end, two new snowsports concepts have been launched this Spring. They are focussed on increasing participation and nurturing the talent right here in...
- SIGB Ski Test Week - what is it, and what goes on?
- This February around 50 ski brands headed out to the mountains to showcase next season's gear. Welcome to ski test week. An intensive - yet productive - four and half days, attended by retailers,...