Andy's Blog: Early season courses with Snoworks
The Ski Club's Andy Brown prepares to tackle more of the mountain
For ages now I’ve wanted to improve so I can ski parts of the mountain that a lot of my friends can, without getting embarrassed or not getting there at all! But my problem is that I certainly don’t want to get stuck in a ski school, and ski in a classic “snake” formation spending half the time standing around. Call me selfish, but there you go.
This weekend we’re heading out to Tignes so we can advise you on the best way to go about learning to ski new parts of the mountain. We want to explore a more personalised instructional experience which is less standardised and therefore more appropriate to your needs, while still paying normal ski school rates.
We’ll be spending a couple of days with Snoworks, who suggest their tuition is ‘more like having a personal trainer than being a member of a gym class’. It’s an interesting theory – one that is springing up in a number of resorts – and an attractive one for people like me who want to push the boundaries a little more by learning to ski new terrain.
Personalised instruction is something we know Ski Club Freshtracks holidays do brilliantly, given that over 85% of members rebook. But we’d love to experience how other ski schools are running their courses and offering more than standard ski school lessons.
Stay tuned for our blogs on this experience, and so we can tell you how the snow’s looking as we approach what so far looks to be an excellent season for skiing! Finally I may be able to ski off piste under a chair lift without worrying about losing face, and losing my skis for that matter.
Read Andy's next blog to find out how he did tackling the deep snow in Tignes...
From tree hugger to tree dodger this weekend eh mate?! Thinking of you in Whistler makes me smile.... great fun!
Super jealous of your trip....
Have you seen the video that Snoworks Phil Smith put up yesterday? Looks like it has finally started to dump in Tignes.... green last week, white and lovely this week!
Have a great time, look forward to hearing how it goes!
related ski news
- Summer skiing - Norwegian style!
- The Norwegian fjords are world-renowned for their stunning scenery and striking landscapes. But how would you fancy looking down on them when on a pair of skis, on top of a glacier, in the middle of...
- Ski the best of Canada with Ski Club Freshtracks next winter!
- Although many of you may be thinking of the beach and BBQs, here at Ski Club Freshtracks we're already looking forward to those powder days next season - and where else is better for powder than...
- What's so good about late season skiing?
- It's that funny month when only a handful of resorts are open in the whole world, but Hannah Engelkamp tells you why this makes it the ideal time to grab your skis, get a bargain, and take some last...
- What to look forward to in the Southern Hemisphere this season
- As the snow melts away from the Alps and the Rocky Mountains, our attentions here at the Ski Club are turning firmly towards the summer skiing season, and in particular down to the Southern...