Rémy Lécluse memorial fund established
Friends have set up a fund to assist the family of the late mountain guide
Rémy Lécluse 1964 - 2012
At 4am on Sunday 23 September 2012 an enormous avalanche swept through camp 3 on Mount Manaslu in the Himalayas. Tragically it killed nine mountaineers, among them the French guide and extreme skier Rémy Lécluse.
Rémy was well known for his extraordinary exploits on skis and his guiding to many around the world. In the UK he had a long association with the Ski Club of Great Britain's Freshtracks holidays and Mountain Tracks. Rémy was a master of extreme skiing, with a unique philosophy and enthusiasm that involved pioneering descents down the world's steepest and highest peaks. He was a skilled mountain guide who inspired many to realise their dreams in the mountains.
Rémy was also a father and he leaves behind his daughter Elise, and son Swan, from his first marriage to Claire and an uncertainty about how to finance the costs of their education and welfare now and in the near future.
Close friends of Rémy have decided to put together a Fund in Rémy’s memory. The primary aim is to cover what Rémy would have contributed to see Elise and Swan through their tertiary education. The target for this is €50,000. Secondly, if possible, we would like to establish a long-term legacy supporting guides ski training in the developing world, an area Rémy was passionate about.
We hope this appeal will be supported generously by his many friends and colleagues who shared Rémy's love of the mountains and of skiing. If you are interested in donate to the fund you can do so in the following ways:
Bank: Lloyds TSB Treasurer’s account
Account Name: Remy Lecluse Memorial Fund
Account No: 17817360 Sort Code: 77-10-19
Reference: Anonymous (or if you wish please give your name so we know where the donation has come from)
By Cheque (UK BANKS ONLY)
To: Remy Lecluse Memorial Fund
Post to: Nick Parks
Rémy Lécluse Memorial Fund
Brampford Speke Exeter
Donating from outside the United Kingdom
If you wish to discuss the memorial fund or any matter realting to it please email firstname.lastname@example.org
I never knew him, and probably would never have met him, however the tributes are such that I shall contribute,
Well done David.
For me a contribution is but small thanks for several inspirational holidays which took a fairly plodding skier into the presence of a giant of the sport who encouraged and directed me into achievements I had only previously dreamed about.
- Falling safely
- A short clip from the In Deeper instructional movie explaining the safest way to fall when skiing.
- Freeskiing Awareness with Anders Norin
- Ex pro skier Anders Norin offers some important freeskiing advice, including how to escape slough.
- Mountain Awareness
- Avalanche awareness clip from Snow Films with a graphic account of being caught in an avalanche from Loris Falquet.
- Freeskiing Awareness - Jimmy Oden
- Mountain guide Jimmy Oden talks about awareness in the mountains and his book, Freeskiing: How to adapt to the mountain.
related ski news
- Save money on flights with Flybe this winter
- Ski Club members can save 10% on selected flights from airports throughout the UK
- 'Unusual Skiing' with Ski Club President Frank Gardner
- Join us at the Ski Club on 30 January for an evening with a difference...
- Grindelwald: A resort with more than one string to its bow
- The scenery alone makes this Ski Club Leader resort unmissable, but there's a lot more to it than epic panoramas
- Make it a White Christmas with the Ski Club
- Share your love of snowsports with Ski Club gift membership