Is your child a potential Snow Star?
Ski Coaching for children at The Snow Centre
If you live in the UK and your child shows an aptitude and interest in snowsports it’s not always easy to nurture that talent. Compared to European countries where ski racing facilities and coaching programmes are within easy reach of towns and cities, and children begin training at an early age, talented British skiers have a number of hurdles to overcome to compete at the highest levels.
However, The Snow Centre Hemel Hempstead has recently launched Snow Stars Ski Coaching – a programme aimed at developing childrens performance and technique in a Club-like environment - whether they are Olympians in the making, or just want to get the most out of the sport.
“It’s a really fun environment that pushes the kids onto the next level,” says Snow Stars instructor Lesley Pinkerton. “We encourage them to improve their technical skills but also teach them tricks and build up their confidence on skis by getting them to ski backwards, over jumps or on one leg! The kids love it and Snow Stars has become a real social highlight of the week for them.”
Regular sessions and a club ethos with sweat shirts, record books and the same instructor every week really help develop their skills on the slopes, and also makes it a real team environment. Because all of the children are already competent on the snow it means that a lot of one-to-one coaching can be given, meaning that the youngsters can progress quickly.
Guest instructors include The Snow Centre’s own freestyle and performance skiers and even Britain’s number one Alpine skier and Olympian Ed Drake.
The Snow Centre has 160m of real snow slope and the UK’s largest nursery slopes – so it’s ideal for beginners too, with lessons available to prepare your kids for their first trip to the mountains.
Discounts for Ski Club members
The Snow Centre Hemel Hempstead is now offering Ski Club of Great Britain members discounted slope time to take advantage of the facilities right here in the UK:
10% off recreational lift passes (on production of a valid membership card)
55% off membership to The Snow Centre
£32 for a two-hour recreational pass with a free drink for Ski Club members
For more information about performance coaching in Snow Stars, lessons for all abilities and ages (including adults) as well as school holiday courses visit thesnowcentre.com or call 0845 258 9000.
- Snowcast Extra: Ed Drake interview March 2011
- Emma Pearson talks to Ski Club sponsored rider Ed Drake, Britain's number one Alpine skier, about how his season has been going, recovering from injury and looking ahead to next season.
- Snowcast Extra - Emily Sarsfield interview
- GB skier Emily Sarsfield takes a breather from the 2012 SIGB Ski Tests in Kuhtai, Austria to talk about her discipline, Skiercross.
- Snowcast Extra - James Woods X Games interview
- British Freeskier and rising star James Woods talks to the Snowcast team from the Winter X Games Europe in Tignes where he took a bronze medal.
- Ski School: Intermediate - skiing with children
- If you're skiing with children there are a few pointers that will ensure their safety and improve their technique. For more information, visit SkiSchoolApp.com, for more videos, visit YouTube...
related ski news
- A quest to conquer the world's toughest ski race
- Facing retirement from competitive skiing, Chemmy has faced her hardest ever challenge - going cross-country in the world's toughest ski competition, the Arctic Circle Race.
- Chemmy Alcott and the Arctic V Set New World Record
- What do you get if you combine a female Olympian with four male skiing counterparts, tie them all together and put them on roller skis in Hyde Park?
- Club Sandwich: tasty new member benefits
- Our new round-up of the latest benefits for Ski Club members, just so you don't miss out on anything.
- WIN tickets to the Lauberhorn ski races
- The 85th Lauberhorn ski race - one of the biggest and most exciting in the world - is almost upon us. Fancy winning tickets?