Is your child a potential Snow Star?
Ski Coaching for children at The Snow Centre
If you live in the UK and your child shows an aptitude and interest in snowsports it’s not always easy to nurture that talent. Compared to European countries where ski racing facilities and coaching programmes are within easy reach of towns and cities, and children begin training at an early age, talented British skiers have a number of hurdles to overcome to compete at the highest levels.
However, The Snow Centre Hemel Hempstead has recently launched Snow Stars Ski Coaching – a programme aimed at developing childrens performance and technique in a Club-like environment - whether they are Olympians in the making, or just want to get the most out of the sport.
“It’s a really fun environment that pushes the kids onto the next level,” says Snow Stars instructor Lesley Pinkerton. “We encourage them to improve their technical skills but also teach them tricks and build up their confidence on skis by getting them to ski backwards, over jumps or on one leg! The kids love it and Snow Stars has become a real social highlight of the week for them.”
Regular sessions and a club ethos with sweat shirts, record books and the same instructor every week really help develop their skills on the slopes, and also makes it a real team environment. Because all of the children are already competent on the snow it means that a lot of one-to-one coaching can be given, meaning that the youngsters can progress quickly.
Guest instructors include The Snow Centre’s own freestyle and performance skiers and even Britain’s number one Alpine skier and Olympian Ed Drake.
The Snow Centre has 160m of real snow slope and the UK’s largest nursery slopes – so it’s ideal for beginners too, with lessons available to prepare your kids for their first trip to the mountains.
Discounts for Ski Club members
The Snow Centre Hemel Hempstead is now offering Ski Club of Great Britain members discounted slope time to take advantage of the facilities right here in the UK:
10% off recreational lift passes (on production of a valid membership card)
55% off membership to The Snow Centre
£32 for a two-hour recreational pass with a free drink for Ski Club members
For more information about performance coaching in Snow Stars, lessons for all abilities and ages (including adults) as well as school holiday courses visit thesnowcentre.com or call 0845 258 9000.
related ski news
- Entries open for English Alpine Championships in Bormio
- Entries are now open for the 2017 English Alpine Championships, as over 400 of the country's best Alpine skiers are set to descend on Bormio, Italy from 11-17th February 2017.
- The Ski Club Leaders Course
- The next generation of Ski Club Leaders have just returned from an intense two weeks in the mountains of Zermatt and Chris Madoc-Jones from the Ski Club's content team was on hand to see them put...
- Get to know: Charlie Raposo
- A flurry of great results for the British Ski Team has got the season off to a great start. Bryony Grimes sat down with one of the countries hottest new talents, Charlie Raposo, to find out what makes...
- Get to know: Alex Tilley
- Bryony Grimes caught up with one of GB's biggest hopes on ski racing after the Solden World Cup not so long ago to find out a little more about what it takes to compete at the highest level.