The Alpine Challenge raises over £50,000 for Snow-Camp's work
Good efforts all round in the Portes du Soleil!
Looking over Morzine
Conditions in Morzine were close to perfect for the event and teams made the most of the blue skies and perfect snow as they raced around the ski area to reach 15 checkpoints and racking up GPS-tracked kilometres.
Snow-Camp Director, Dan Charlish, said, "The event went even better than we had hoped. Teams loved the new orienteering format which put them in charge of their route and strategy - and the improved tracking facility kept everyone in touch with how they were doing and how far they had ridden. As ever, the mountain night hike added an extra level of endurance and is certainly a challenge after a big day of riding - but the experience of sledging home in the dark with 80 participants provided a suitable reward!"
Tom Saunders, of the DHO warriors said,"It was a fantastic event – we thoroughly enjoyed raising money for such a good cause doing something we all love! We will be going back to the DHO Race Club and getting more teams for next year!"
Over 80 people took part representing companies such as RBS, Norton Rose, PWC, Barclays Wealth, Miller Insurance, Welbeck and London Bridge Capital, as well as snowsport industry teams including SCUK and the World Snowboard Guide. Combined fundraising across all teams has now passed £50,000, which will support Snow-Camp’s work with young people.
"The effort teams have put into their fundraising has been phenomenal. The 2013 Alpine Challenge has now set a new fundraising record for an event run for Snow-Camp. The impact this will have on our work is huge – we couldn’t be more grateful for all the support from everyone involved", said Dan Charlish.
Sponsors Ellis Brigham Mountain Sports were proud to have supported the event once again and have been supporters of Snow-Camp for many years. They were joined by Morzine Tourist Board, Basecamp Group and White Blancmange Luxury Travel as key event sponsors.
The Alpine Challenge 2014 will be launched soon. To enter your team contact Snow-Camp or visit www.snow-camp.org.uk/alpinechallenge to find out more. Make sure you also keep an eye on Snow-Camp's website for other events including:
- Brighton Marathon – April 14th 2013
- London 2 Brighton Walk – May 25th 2013
- Moonriders London 2 Brighton Cycle – July 12th 2013
- Skydive – Date tbc
- National 3 Peaks 24hr Challenge – 19-21 July 2013
For more information or to sign up to any of the above events, please call Dan on 01272 241 383 or 07803 876455, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nike ACG Sweetspot: Tomas Kraus and Robin Kaleta
- In an unlikely Sweetspot, Slovakians Tomas Kraus and Robin Kaleta challenge each other to ski the same line, but one of them in winter on the snow, and the other on rocks, gravel and mud in the summer...
- Snowcast Extra: Working a winter season
- Thinking of working a winter season? The experts from the Natives.co.uk winter workshop give budding seasonnaires their top tips on preparing for a season in the mountains.
- Interview with Joe Simpson part 3
- Filmed at the Sheffield Adventure Film Festival, Gordon Stainforth interviews Joe Simpson mountaineer and subject of film "Touching the Void". In this third excerpt Joe talks about the thin line...
- Dhaulagiri - the White Mountain
- An inspiring short film documenting professional skier and mountaineer Fredrik Ericsson's attempt at the first ski descent of the world's seventh highest peak, Dhaulagiri in Nepal.
related ski news
- Adventure Film Festival coming up
- The 10th annual Adventure Film Festival is about to start, touring around the cinemas of the UK. What better way to wake yourself up after Christmas, and kick start some adventurous New Years'...
- Best French resorts for skiing with the kids
- After decades of research, ski-mum Anne Bridges tells us her top three French resorts for skiing with the kids.
- Alpine ski racing returns for another action-packed season
- The World Cup alpine ski season is upon us, and already there are bizarre injuries, surprise wins and challenging weather. Read on for a round-up of the action so far...
- Things are looking up
- Winter has finally returned to the Alps last week, the mountains are looking whiter and lots of resorts are set to open this weekend. Meanwhile in the Pyrenees, on the east coast of the USA and even...