Bolle Backline Visor Helmet - Kit Review
Alf reviews Bolle's Backline Visor, the one helmet built in with an integrated and interchangeable visor - is it worth the extra money?
WEBSITE: BOLLÉ Backline Visor
WHAT THEY SAY: "A real 2-in-1! A helmet with an even more chic incorporated visor to give the model a die-for look on the slopes. The Backline Visor has an adjustable ventilation system, removable ear plugs and a Click-to-Fit size adjustment system. Foam lining sits at the base of the internal visor for greater comfort and better adjustment to the face. Its ultra-resistant ABS shell means skiing in total safety.The Backline Visor is delivered with two visors (category 1 and category 3) for perfect visibility, whatever the light conditions."
WHAT ALF SAYS: The Backline is a superbly built helmet, with an integrated and interchangeable visor, so although it’s an expensive bit of kit you do effectively get a pair of ski ‘goggles’ with it too.
The visor is easily changed; simply unscrew the two aluminium dials on either side. Bollé also make a variety of lens colours and categories to go with the Backline. Ours came with a category 2 ‘silver gun’ lens and a category 3 lemon lens (a photochromic option is also available).
The field of view the visor offers is superb; wider than pretty much any ski goggles, while being anti-fog coated and abrasion (but not scratch) resistant, with two-layer face foam and vents on the underside, providing a comfortable and secure fit.
The helmet itself is really well constructed, featuring eight vents, the front six of which adjust smoothly and easily, an injected ABS shell, removable ear pads, rear dial adjustment and a hypoallergenic lining. I also liked the ratchet system chin strap, which is really easy to adjust.
The only downside to the Backline is that it weighs 650g, more than twice as much as the lightest helmets on test.
FOR: Superb build quality; excellent visor
AGAINST: Expensive (but you do get a spare visor); relatively heavy
Alf Alderson is an award-winning freelance ski journalist who will be working on gear reviews throughout the 2016/17 season for the Ski Club of Great Britain.
This review first appeared in the November issue of Ski+board - read it online here.
Bought one of these backline visor helmets at the ski show two years ago (black with blue mirror visor), and I love it, excellent field of vision, no wind inside visor and a good snug fit.
related ski news
- Get Techie With Our Top 5 Gadgets
- Why not treat yourself to some digital goodies before heading out this Easter?
- Off Piste Essentials
- Heading off piste this season? Make sure you have all the equipment and more importantly the know-how to stay safe in the backcountry.
- The Ski Club's Kit & Equipment Reviews - Full List (UPDATED)
- This winter we are bringing you more online kit and equipment reviews than ever before, with unique online reviews by our gear expert Alf Alderson to supplement those featured in Ski+board magazine.
- Versatile VT, Early Season Snow in The 3 Valleys
- Alf Alderson checks out the early season conditions at France's highest resort.