Oakley MOD 5 Helmet - Kit Review
The helmet designed to work with any goggle type - what's not to love? Alf gives us the full break down on all features of the helmet.
WEBSITE: Oakley MOD 5
WHAT THEY SAY: "Big-Mountain brawn, designed for those who demand the highest level of performance. Featuring a hybrid shell construction and our Modular Brim System (MBS), the MOD5 delivers the perfect balance of increased protection and weight savings for technical riding."
WHAT ALF SAYS: Oakley’s new Mod 5 helmet has been designed to work perfectly with any goggles, which is done through the ‘Modular Brim System’, offering a small and large brim option, providing an ideal fit with any size of goggle. I also liked the way that Mod 5 offers an integrated venting system, so that hot air from your goggles is channeled through the brim and helmet to restrict fogging.
That said, the vents are relatively small compared to many other helmets we tested, and there are only five of them, so you won’t stay as cool as with more generously vented lids; however, said vents are multi-adjustable with gloved hands.
Helmet adjustment is quick and easy, via a BOA system, and it provides an excellent and comfortable fit. Despite the MOD 5’s rugged, almost military style, it feels light and unobtrusive in use. This is assisted by removable ear pads, which in use have been designed to put zero pressure on the ears for more comfort and better hearing.
The mesh liner can be removed for washing, and I liked the magnetic buckle system which is a cinch to fasten and unfasten. With its understated, rugged good looks, the Oakley Mod 5 was one of the best helmets we tested, and it should prove very popular both on- and off-piste this winter.
FOR: Works with any goggles; looks great
AGAINST: We would have liked bigger/more vents
Alf Alderson is an award-winning freelance ski journalist who will be working on gear reviews throughout the 2016/17 season for the Ski Club of Great Britain.
This review first appeared in the November issue of Ski+board - read it online here.
related ski news
- Get Techie With Our Top 5 Gadgets
- Why not treat yourself to some digital goodies before heading out this Easter?
- Off Piste Essentials
- Heading off piste this season? Make sure you have all the equipment and more importantly the know-how to stay safe in the backcountry.
- The Ski Club's Kit & Equipment Reviews - Full List (UPDATED)
- This winter we are bringing you more online kit and equipment reviews than ever before, with unique online reviews by our gear expert Alf Alderson to supplement those featured in Ski+board magazine.
- Versatile VT, Early Season Snow in The 3 Valleys
- Alf Alderson checks out the early season conditions at France's highest resort.