Call for Schools to Sign up for National Schools Snowsports Week!
Schools in England have just a few weeks left to sign up to free or heavily discounted activities at over 20 slopes across the country as part of the second National Schools Snowsport Week sponsored by Visit Andorra (www.nssw.co.uk).
Taking place from 24-30 April 2017, National Schools Snowsport Week is backed by Winter Olympians Eddie ‘The Eagle’ Edwards, Dave Ryding, Aimee Fuller and Graham Bell, and is looking to give pupils at primary and secondary schools, as well as sixth form colleges, the chance to try skiing or snowboarding at heavily discounted prices.
Offers include free one-hour ski and snowboard taster sessions for school groups at the Snowdome in Tamworth, whilst at Runcorn Snowsports Centre the 60-minute taster sessions are just £1.00. At Skiplex in Reading and Basingstoke and also at Plymouth Ski and Snowboard Centre taster sessions are £5.00 and at The Snow Centre in Hemel Hempsted one-hour taster sessions will be £10.00 per pupil during National Schools Snowsport Week.
Dave Ryding, who recently became the first Briton to secure an Alpine World Cup podium in 35 years said:
“I would strongly encourage any teacher who has a slope nearby to get involved in National Schools Snowsport Week and give their pupils the chance to give skiing or snowboarding a go. I started skiing on a dry slope when I was at school, and it is the best thing I have ever done! I loved getting out on the slopes after school and at weekends.”
Joaquim Tomas from Visit Andorra said
“We are delighted to sponsor National Snow Sports Week for the second year. In Andorra, we have extensive facilities for beginners and intermediates whether in school groups or travelling as a family. Factor in our low VAT rate (4.5%, compared to 20% in France) and Andorra is ideal and affordable for first time skiers or boarders”.
Discounted or free sessions are available to schools at the following slopes during National Schools Snowsport Week:
Ackers Adventure, Birmingham
Alpine Snowsports Centre, Southampton
Alpine Snowsports Centre, Aldershot
Bracknell Ski and Snowboard Centre
Chatham Ski and Snowboard Centre
Chill Factore, Manchester
Gloucester Ski and Snowboard Centre
Gosling Ski and Board Centre
Precise Racing at Brentwood
Plymouth Ski and Snowboard Centre
Runcorn Snowsports Centre
Sandown Snowsports Centre
Silksworth Ski Slope
Snozone Milton Keynes
Stoke Ski Centre
Swadlincote Ski and Snowboard Centre
The Snow Centre, Hemel Hempstead and Hemel Ski Racing Club
related ski news
- The Rise of the On-Snow Festival
- As festival season approaches we take a closer look at winter music festivals and why you might choose one over a summer event in the UK.
- British Ski and Snowboard announce bold new Olympic ambition
- With less than one year until the next Olympic Winter Games in PyeongChang, British Ski and Snowboard has set their sights high heading towards the event and beyond.
- Another Successful Year at The British Schoolgirls Races!
- Over 150 girls from 31 schools across the UK descended on Flaine, France earlier this week for the British Schoolgirls Races 2017.
- Beyond the Streif: Kitzbühel
- As the 77th edition of the Hahnenkamm approaches, we look back at Kitzbuehel's place in skiing history