Body Barrier - Kit Review
Alf tells us about the new British brand of base layers hoping to keep you warm and dry this season...
WEBSITE: BODY BARRIER BASE LAYER
WHAT THEY SAY:
- Perfect thermal base layer
- Mens Thermal Long Sleeved Top
- Black Microtex fabric
- Handmade in the UK
- Special fabric for warmth and comfort
WHAT ALF SAYS: Body Barrier is a new British company producing high performance base layers which, they claim, offer ‘extra insulation and thermal protection… due to the use of a ‘brushed’ techno-fabric’.
Said ‘techno-fabric’ is in fact a two-way stretch Lycra which has undergone a brushing treatment on the inside to increase the level of thermal insulation it offers – and it has to be said that it feels really nice against the skin, both soft and almost cushioning.
The material also has excellent wicking properties, and the Lycra content results in a tight, figure-hugging fit which will appeal to some and not to others. It’s also worth noting that if you’re using it in warm, sunny weather, this base layer will provide UV protection, whilst in very cold weather the long cut means you can also pull it down over your bum for a little extra insulation on cold chairs.
Build quality feels good, although this means it’s not the lightest or most packable of base layers, and it is quite pricey. Whether the bold Union Jack logo and company branding will appeal to everyone is also a moot point, but it did feel warm, snug and comfortable which are the main things you’re after with any base layer.
FOR: Snug fit, nice quality
AGAINST:Quite pricey, logo/branding may not appeal to everyone
Alf Alderson is an award-winning freelance ski journalist who will be working on gear reviews throughout the 2016/17 season for the Ski Club of Great Britain.
related ski news
- Get Techie With Our Top 5 Gadgets
- Why not treat yourself to some digital goodies before heading out this Easter?
- Off Piste Essentials
- Heading off piste this season? Make sure you have all the equipment and more importantly the know-how to stay safe in the backcountry.
- The Ski Club's Kit & Equipment Reviews - Full List (UPDATED)
- This winter we are bringing you more online kit and equipment reviews than ever before, with unique online reviews by our gear expert Alf Alderson to supplement those featured in Ski+board magazine.
- Versatile VT, Early Season Snow in The 3 Valleys
- Alf Alderson checks out the early season conditions at France's highest resort.