Advanced Search use any combination to find matching resorts
Unspoiled, inexpensive village at one end of the Monterosa Ski area.
Champoluc is popular with Italian weekenders from Milan and Turin, but is hardly heard of on the international market. As a result, it retains a friendly, small-scale, unspoiled Italian ambience. The village is a pleasant but not notably pretty place and the centre is lacking in bars, shops and much ski resort atmosphere. The quickest way into the area starts at Frachey, a few minutes up the road and reached by bus. The three-valley network of lifts and pistes is anything but small-scale. Champoluc is at one end of it and Alagna at the other - they are 17km apart - slightly further apart than Courchevel and Val-Thorens. But it's around a four-hour trip by road to get from Alagna to Champoluc if you miss the last lift. Gressoney is in the central valley. But a glance at the piste map reveals that the Italian network between the two extremes is skeletal compared with the full-bodied French one. Outside the piste network, however, is a lot of great off-piste terrain, some lift-served, which has long attracted experts.
Champoluc is the largest of the resort villages and is at one end of the three-valley network. Although it has drawbacks, it's an attractive all-round base.
Champoluc is strung out along the one-way street running from the centre past various hotels to the gondola base station, where a cluster of shops and bars forms a kind of distinct micro-resort. About 3km up the valley, a short funicular goes up from Frachey (with parking right at the base).
Down-valley from Champoluc are Antagnod and Brusson. Antagnod is a good alternative for bad-weather days, and has some decent off-piste.
- 25 Nov to 15 Apr: 0845-1700
- Turin airport - 1.5 hours
- Milan airport - 2 hours
Relaxed, traditional-style village
Progress to longer runs tricky
Excellent beginner area at mid-mountain, but ...
Some tricky red runs
Resort spread out along road
You can ski from Champoluc to...
Champoluc is near to...
|Cervinia Last snowed: 26 Mar Fresh snow: 50cm||view resort details add to my resorts|
|Chamonix Last snowed: 26 Mar Fresh snow: 15cm||view resort details add to my resorts|
|Courmayeur Last snowed: 23 Mar Fresh snow: 7cm||view resort details add to my resorts|
|La Rosiere Last snowed: 26 Mar Fresh snow: 10cm||view resort details add to my resorts|
|La Thuile Last snowed: 24 Mar Fresh snow: 10cm||view resort details add to my resorts|
|Pila Last snowed: 24 Mar Fresh snow: 4cm||view resort details add to my resorts|
|Zermatt Last snowed: 26 Mar Fresh snow: 5cm||view resort details add to my resorts|
tour operators in Champoluc
- Ski Solutions
- 5% discount for Ski Club members
- Ski Solutions is Britain's original and largest specialist ski travel agency and tailor-made...
- Ski Total
- 5% discount for Ski Club members
- Ski Total, the Ski Chalet Specialist, has over 34 years' experience and offers high quality...
- Crystal Ski Holidays
- £50 discount for Ski Club members
- For us, the mountain is everything. We love it as much as you do. Since 1981, we’ve been finding the...
member discounts in Champoluc
- 60% discount for Ski Club members
- N.B. Online bookings will vary depending on resort and seasonal time. However Ski Club members will...
- Echo Travel
- 10% discount for Ski Club members
- Ski Club members will receive 10% off the price of a day of guided skiing in December, January,...
Where to Ski and Snowboard 2016
Our ski resort guide is brought to you by 'Where to Ski and Snowboard', updated annually and available toBuy now