Advanced Search use any combination to find matching resorts
Purpose-built mountain resort linked by modern gondola to the historic valley town of Aosta. Limited but varied, snow-sure terrain. Uncrowded, flattering slopes, good for beginners. Highly praised by reporters.
Modern, purpose-built, car-free resort that's popular with families and school groups and is set above the old Roman town of Aosta - a 15-minute gondola ride away or reached by a 30-minute drive on a winding road. Chairlifts (some fast, most slow) and a cable car fan out to serve a fair-sized and interesting mix of well-groomed, snow-sure slopes. The treeline is high, at about 2300m, and most runs are below it, making this an excellent bad-weather resort. From the top heights there are grand views to Mont Blanc in the west and the Matterhorn in the east. There are runs for all standards, but mostly they are reds. The few blacks, above the treeline at the top of the area, don't amount to much, but there is quite a bit of off-piste. There are two short beginner lifts, but progression to longer runs means using a central run, which when the resort is busy is unpleasant. Like so many other Aosta Valley resorts, Pila is pretty quiet during the week but can be hectic at weekends - and it does attract lots of British school groups. 'A good day trip,' says a 2014 visitor.
- 26Nov to 15 Apr: 0800-1700
- Turin airport - 1.5 hours
- Milan airport - 3 hours
tour operators in Pila
- Ski Solutions
- 5% discount for Ski Club members
- Ski Solutions is Britain's original and largest specialist ski travel agency and tailor-made...
- Crystal Ski Holidays
- £50 discount for Ski Club members
- For us, the mountain is everything. We love it as much as you do. Since 1981, we’ve been finding the...
member discounts in Pila
- Echo Travel
- 10% discount for Ski Club members
- Ski Club members will receive 10% off the price of a day of guided skiing in December, January,...
Where to Ski and Snowboard 2016
Our ski resort guide is brought to you by 'Where to Ski and Snowboard', updated annually and available toBuy now