membership pays for itself
Ambassadors in 28
email snow reports
Snow report glossary
- Last snowed
- The date of the last snowfall.
- Fresh snow
- The depth of the last snowfall.
- Last 7 days
- The total snowfall reported over the last 7 days.
- Next 9 days
- The total amount of fresh snow predicted at mid-mountain level from our detailed 9 day forecast.
- Upper piste depth
- An indication of the snow depth on the upper prepared slopes.
- Lower piste depth
- An indication of the snow depth on the lower prepared slopes.
- Piste quality
- An indication of the general piste conditions on the open pistes.
- Resort runs
- An indication of the conditions on the lower, open runs back into the resort base.
- Off piste snow
- An indication of the general off piste conditions.
- Lifts open
- An indication of the number of lifts that are open out of the total number of lifts possible in this resort/ski area.
24 Dec 2014 10:50
|Ski/board conditions are okay, more snow would be good|
|Last snowed||21 Dec 2014|
|Last 7 days||15cm|
|Next 9 days||20cm|
|Upper piste depth||35cm|
|Lower piste depth||0cm|
|Off piste snow||Limited|
|Lifts open||5 out of 9|
Weather forecast glossary
- The predicted weather for the afternoon period at mid-mountain level.
- Snow expected
- The predicted amount of snow.
- Maximum temperature
- The predicted maximum temperature for the afternoon period at mid-mountain level.
Snow & weather forecast
|A light covering of new snow, mostly falling on Sat morning. Temperatures will be below freezing (max -1°C on Thu morning, min -10°C on Thu night). Wind will be generally light.|
|Wednesday 24 December 2014
Cloudy today, snow possible
|Thursday 25 December 2014|
3cm snow expected
-3°C max temp
|Friday 26 December 2014|
0cm snow expected
-9°C max temp
|Saturday 27 December 2014|
6cm snow expected
-8°C max temp
Snow overview for Austria
After quite a cold and snowy weekend in Austria many resorts have seen a big improvement in their conditions. Almost all of our featured resorts received some fresh snow, there weren’t massive amounts but the average was between 5cm and 10cm. All across Austria sunny skies were seen with a few light clouds Monday with a rise in temperature.
The glacial resorts are still going strong and are offering good piste conditions and pockets of powder off the piste. Pitztal (113/153cm) enjoyed a bright and sunny day after a fairly cloudy weekend and all 12 lifts were in operation. Kaunertal (104/151cm) had eight lifts turning and also had similar conditions with bright skies and a few light clouds but overall it was a lovely day for those out on the slopes.
Soll (5/20cm) opened this weekend to join the other regions in the Ski Welt area. There were only three lifts running on Monday but the recent snowfall over the weekend has worked well with the snow making teams in the resort to ensure they can open in time for Christmas. The pass covers you for the whole of the Ski Welt area so it was possible to access 33 lifts on Monday providing access to 51km of slopes.
Having spent a day here last year with a friend, I was keen to come back with the family as it seemed to cater well for families. I was not disappointed.
The Galtur ski school (I think there is only one) was fantastic. They were extremely helpful, spoke perfectly acceptable English, and were brilliant with the children (ours were 9 & 12 at the time). We were all in ski school, and we all progressed well. We only did 2 x hours per day, though you can do 4, with a 2 hour break for lunch which seemed a bit long for us.
Be advised that if you are staying in Galtur (which you almost certainly will be) the ski area is a 3 minute bus ride away up the valley. With a family, particularly a young one, this can be quite stressful, carrying skis, poles etc. Our top tip is to book yourself a locker, which is directly beneath the ski school office, right on the nursery slopes. It was about 22 Euros for 3 nights (as we did not discover this straight away) - you get a discount if you are in ski school. The locker room is state-of -the-art. Heated and very comfortable, you gain access to both the locker area and your locker via your lift pass, which is programmed once you have booked it. Brilliant. You can then just jump on the bus with the children without struggling with all the gear.
The ski buses are pretty constant, though the service does tail off a little during the middle of the day when the demand is lower.
We stayed in the Buntali Hotel which was excellent - see my review on trip advisor.
The area is pretty small, compared to it's noisy neighbour, Ischgl, but they manage to pack a lot into it. One of the big benefits is the gondola, which gos from the top of the nursery slopes, to the top of the main (and only) blue run which brings you back to where you started. This is great for nervous beginners ,and small children, who may not have yet mastered the chair lifts.
Most of all, this area never seems to get crowded. It's a little gem!
- CatchUp - the new way to meet other Ski Club members
- Designed to help you connect with other Club members, chat, and arrange to ski together.
tour operators in Galtur
- 5% discount for Ski Club members
- With over 80 years experience in ski, offering holidays in 91 resorts in 9 countries, Inghams offer...
- Crystal Ski Holidays
- 5% discount for Ski Club members
- For us, the mountain is everything. We love it as much as you do. Since 1981, we’ve been finding the...