On a poll on skiclub.co.uk, 34% of those questioned said their insurance only covered them for the basics or they were not covered at all.
“People who are unlucky enough to have an accident on the slopes can often get caught out by either forgetting to take out insurance, thinking they can risk going away without it or not taking out adequate cover. The key is to read the small print and make sure your policy covers you for all the activities you will be taking part in.” Said Alyn Morgan, Information Manager at the Ski Club of Great Britain.
The Ski Club offers the following tips for buying snowsports travel insurance:
• Don’t just go for the cheapest travel insurance policy. Cheaper policies may not cover all winter activities.
• If you think you may be partaking in any extra winter activities such as off-piste skiing or snowboarding, snowparks, snowmobiling, dog-sledding, tobogganing or ski touring make sure your policy covers you for this.
• Annual multi-trip insurance policies can often save time and money if you take several trips a year. Most specialist snowsports policies also cover for summer activities.
The real cost when things go wrong:
If you do have an accident and you are not insured you may end up with a frightening bill.
Potential costs for European accidents:
• Cost of an air ambulance: £5,000 - £10,000
• Repatriation to the UK (with family escort): £200 - £800
• Repatriation to the UK (with stretcher): £3,350 - £3700 (This can increase by up to £2,000 if the airline apply a surcharge)
Potential costs for accidents in North America:
• Cost of an air ambulance: £30,000
• Repatriation to the UK with upgraded seats (required for leg injuries): £2,000 - £5,000
The Ski Club of Great Britain offers insurance policies designed by experts especially for snowsports enthusiasts. Policies are available at standard, super and executive level, for single trips, annual multi-trip or seasonal.
Ski Club of Great Britain policies cover as standard on and off-piste skiing and snowboarding (with or without a guide), snow parks, cross country skiing, ski touring, heli skiing, recreational racing, cat skiing, snow shoeing, dog sledding, bob sleighing, ice skating, curling and tobogganing.